Thursday, November 8, 2007

Coffee and Oatmeal and Other Food for Thought

Since my World of Bus. test only took me FIVE minutes this morning, I had time to come back to my dorm and eat breakfast. Now here I sit sipping my coffee and pondering the meaning of life...OR...I'm making yet another to-do list (it's kinda the same right? HA! I'm so Type A). I turned in a PF project on Tues, knocked out the Romans test yesterday and the WOB test today...my "everything that has to be done before Thanksgiving" list is coming along nicely. Nowhere near done, but getting there...

One thing I've noticed about my classes this semester is that I'm starting to see that they have (or will have) actual application to my life. The gen eds that we had to take perhaps made me a "well-rounded" person with knowledge in science, the arts, etc.... and while some of them were interesting, I didn't see much application to my life or my career. But this semester I'm really starting to see application. It's pretty neat when you can be listening to a lecture or reading in your textbook and go "whoa, I never thought of it like that" or "that's really interesting, I can use that!" My management textbook last nite was talking about conflict resolution. It sparked a discussion with Nikki while we were doing homework in the library and it continued all the way back to our dorm room. It was one of the best conversations we've had in a long time. I'm not saying we talked about my management homework the whole time but it was interesting how that began the conversation to begin with. I guess I've really been feeling like I actually want to LEARN things now instead of simply absorbing the material and then regurgitating it on a test. I see some excellent qualities in some of my professors and I would love to be able to just talk to them and get advice from them both personally and professionally. I feel like there's this wealth of resources right at my fingertips...now the only problem is figuring out the best way to tap into it all...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great that you are getting more "into" your classes, especially now while you're still in college, many people don't realize the application until they're out! (unfortunately speaking from some experience...)