After all the chaos of having family stay at our house, combined with the emotionally and mentally draining process of planning and attending a funeral, we all needed a break. So in light of that... Mom, Dale, Evan and I went out camping to Joseph Lake this weekend. We shared a site with our good friends Lorie & Shakey and despite some cool/windy weather, it was a great weekend. We played a few rounds of croquet, had a round-robin bocce ball tournament, ate some great food (why does food always taste SO much better when you're camping??) and sat around the campfire gazing up at the blanket of twinkling stars and talking till late into the nite.
There were some tense moments when emotions would flair up and attitudes would be in need of adjustments, but all in all it was a fun weekend of family time. I guess maybe with Debbie's death so fresh on my mind, I really cherished the memories with family... helping Mom with the dishes, winning bocce ball games with Dale, wrestling and goofing around with Evan... it was great. Perhaps one of the coolest times of the weekend was Saturday nite sitting around the campfire. Evan sat on my lap and kept my legs warm. It was getting late and he literally was dozing off to sleep in my arms. I don't get to spend a ton of time with my little brother because he lives most the time at his mom's house and I'm gone 8 months out of the year at school. But the time we do spend together is usually a ton of fun. There was just something special about having your 12 year old brother sprawled in your lap and just about drifting off to sleep.
And the fact that I had him pinned on the ground not once but twice when he wanted to wrestle me didn't hurt my feelings either... haha
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
sounds awesome, cole. glad you all got the break. and I know what you mean about camping food, it must be all the fresh air that just heightens the senses or something... (I heart camping!)
I heart you too.
ynof! (get it?)
Post a Comment