It's been an "interesting" week thus far. And to tell you the truth... I'm exhausted. Monday brought the distressing news of a friend's attempted suicide, my suitemate Joni almost passing out and having to be carried into the dorm due to a blood sugar crash & pancreatic attack, and an IM basketball game where no one really subbed off and I only got to play for like 2 min. Tuesday brought me sleeping in and skipping my Bible class because I was ridiculously exhausted from the drama of Monday nite, taking my best friend to a counseling center and her getting the official label of Major Depressive Disorder (which we already knew but the title sounds worse), me almost passing out after giving blood, ridiculous weather [that was characterized by winds strong enough to blow down power lines, rip the copper roofing off the Reynold's, rip the sheet metal roofing off the half-way constructed new Health Sciences building (which meant that Matt had to sit for 2 hours blocking traffic off Park Ave and having people get mad at him instead of writing parking tickets), rip shingles off various buildings and blow down trees and numerous branches], and Matt's great-grandmother passed away. Wednesday brought an incredibly frustrating accounting assignment, an IM bball game where I got to play more but I wasn't really satisfied w/ my performance, over-analyzing Matt's quietness when we were hanging out last nite as something being wrong (when in fact he was just really tired), and staying up till 2 AM reading for Bible and talking to the aforementioned friend who attempted suicide (she was doing much better but still needed to talk to someone). Today I was absolutely exhausted but managed to pull off a 100 on my Bible quiz, squeak in a nap on my lunch break and made a 90 on my accounting quiz. I have no hw that's due tomorrow so that's a major relief. I hope there is minimal drama tonight... I'm not sure I can handle much more this week! There have been a few good things this week however:
-Nikki and Brenna have been AMAZING at helping me get thru the drama regarding the suicidal friend. Monday night I was so worried about it and so distraught at the unfairness of someone being in that much pain that I just about threw up... and ended up sobbing my eyes out instead. They helped me through that and I'm so thankful for that! And... the aforementioned friend told me that I am "the perfect blend of sister, friend, confidante and therapist"... you have to smile when someone tells you that :)
-Despite the crappiness of the IM bball games... we are still undefeated so that's kinda cool
-After my game last nite, Nikki and Matt and I played pool and blew off a little steam so that was a nice break
-I received my SKISTRONG bracelets in the mail today. It was kind of encouraging. The bracelets were made in honor of Tal Hofstra, the brother of a girl I went to high school with who was killed in a tragic skiing accident over the xmas holidays. Tal had an intense passion for skiing, but more than that he was all about living life to the fullest, so his brother got bracelets made that say "SKISTRONG" and *TAL* and they are using them as a fundraiser for Rescue Services and the Canadian Avalanche Rescue Dog Association. I was already back at school when I found out about the bracelets, but desperately wanted to feel like I had helped in some way, so I facebooked Tal's mom and she said she would mail a bracelet to me (and Dale can give her the money because they work together). She actually mailed me 2 so I gave one to Matt. I hope that despite the emotionally draining week I've had, I can still live the way Tal would have... living every moment like it's your last.
Here's to trying, Tal...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
WOW... you are doing a fine job, and he is really proud of you for helping other people.. he was all about that too.. thanx Nicole :O)
Post a Comment