Friday, January 2, 2009

The Concept of Self

Like I have mentioned, I have been able to read over the break and it has been glorious. I'm currently in the middle of 2 books (The Power of Touch by Dr. Phyllis K. Davis which I started during my travels home and Improving Your Serve by Charles Swindoll that I switched to after I got it for Christmas from Dad). However it is the latter of these books that I would like to talk about for a bit. I just finished the 2nd chapter as of last night but I came across this passage last night that I found interesting. Since the whole premise of the book is about becoming a servant, I thought it was wonderful that Chuck made the following clarification:

"Now before we get too carried away, a couple of statements need to be made to clarify the issue. First, a good self-esteem is not the same as selfishness. Without a strong belief in ourselves, we are easily crippled and wounded in life. A poor self-image is not to be equated with humility or the mark of a servant. As a matter of fact, without a healthy ego, we become fragile, easily bruised, counterproductive people.
I like what Mrs. Chuck Noll said about her husband, the former coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers:'He's got a very sturdy ego, but as for vanity - none".
Let's not confuse a strong, sturdy self-esteem with vain selfishness. They are not twins, by any means."

I rather enjoyed this perspective on servanthood. I think too many times we think that to help someone else we need to become a worthless doormat and never be proud of our accomplishments. While I am fully aware that too much pride can be detrimental (one only has to read classic literature to discover the effects of this fatal flaw), it was refreshing to be reminded that it's okay to be confident with the person God has made you and the talents you have. It is only when we believe in ourselves that we can truly and effectively help others.

I'm sure I will have more to say about this book as I read through it but that's all for now!

No comments: