Sunday, January 18, 2009

Nose in a Book

I thought I would have to put both Improving Your Serve and The Power of Touch on hold for awhile while I got settled in to school. I had decided that I probably would just be stuck reading textbooks again for awhile... but told myself that if the beginning of the semester wasn't too crazy, I would attempt to keep up with some other reading. I had heard a lot about Jim Collins' book Good to Great and I'm not sure what possessed me, but on a break in between classes the other day, I stopped by Dr. Frazier's office, knowing he had a copy, and asked if I could borrow it. I doubt I'll get to read much if it this weekend (even though we get Monday off) simply because I have the rest of the chapter to read for CB, a case to read for HR and I really should start reading the case for SAM team. However, on the break in between classes I managed to read the first 40 pages and the following are some quotes I found thought-provoking/inspiring...
------
Good is the enemy of great.
------
Greatness is not a function of circumstance. Greatness, it turns out, is largely a matter of conscious choice.
------
We expected that good-to-great leaders would begin by setting a new vision and strategy. We found instead that they first got the right people on the bus, the wrong people off the bus, and the right people in the right seats - and then figured out where to drive it. The old adage "People are your most important asset" turns out to be wrong. People are not your most important asset. The right people are.
------
"You can accomplish anything in life, provided that you do not mind who gets the credit" - Harry S. Truman
------
The good-to-great leaders never wanted to become larger-than-life heroes. They never aspired to be put on a pedastal or become unreachable icons. They were seemingly ordinary people quietly producing extraordinary results.
------
** All quotes taken from Good to Great by Jim Collins. Copyright 2001 **

1 comment:

Lucas said...

Yipes! What a business major you are!

I dunno, Coco. I get kinda antsy and squirmy when I read things like this. All of these "paradigm-shifting" books seem to treat people in purely utilitarian terms.

What is the goal? To what end do we achieve "great"ness? (according to Collins, and to you)