Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Home Sweet Home

My complete exhaustion from 2 days of traveling and a whole semester of busyness and stress, combined with some rather icy roads in Edmonton led me to believe that staying home Sunday morning and getting some rest was in order, despite missing out on church. I slept in a little and then woke up in time to see Mom's reaction to the new dining room table that Sandra (her partner from It's A Crock Country Store) had given her for Christmas. Mom was out that morning doing a consultation for a show home with Sandra and Dale & Evan had set it up while she was gone. At first she was too busy talking to notice the new table and then she stopped mid-stride and mid-sentence and for one of the few times in her life was speechless. It was marvelous. Oh how I wish I woulda been at a better angle to get a picture of her face.

Once she recovered from the shock, we had a big brunch on the new table. Bacon and eggs and Dale's famous french toast. Then we played Yahtzee (I got last place) and then I had a shower and went to town with Mom to get a couple groceries and got to drive our new car...2008 Impala SS... HOTT! Then we started baking. We baked butter tarts and pecan tarts and got the dough ready for gingerbreads and sugar cookies. We then had a nice big dinner with roast & the works and started playing Rummoli. Dan stopped by to say hi and have a visit with the fam before he disappeared to Thailand for 3 weeks. It was good to see him again. When Dan left we started baking cookies. After Operation Cookie Sheet was completed and the missing pan was found, we had a blast cutting out the shapes and getting flour all over each other and fighting with the rolling pin. It was by far the funnest (yes, funnest) sugar cookie baking experience ever. Then we finished up our game of Rummoli (which I also got last place in... it was not my day for games I guess). It was the perfect day of family stuff.

Yesterday Dale had to work and Mom and I took Evan back to his Mom's cuz he had hockey practice and then I got my hair done. I got bold and changed colors! Pics soon to come on FB and maybe one on here... Then we ran errands and just chilled at home. I went over and visited with the neighbors for a little bit and got to play with their little 1.5 year old daughter Faith before she went to bed. Stayed up late chatting online and adding pics to FB of the baking adventures.

Today was some more errands with Mom and then wrapping presents. We're gonna decorate coookies since we have Evan again now (Dale brought him home after work). I'm looking forward to it but I'm missing Matt a lot tonight...

I made a goal for myself to BE where I am over the break and enjoy the time at home. Allison, I remember talking to you about this before... it seems when you're at school you just can't wait to get home but when you're at home, you miss people like crazy. I told myself I was not going to complain about missing people over the break but just enjoy the time at home. And don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it A LOT. It was just hard when I was texting with Matt earlier and he was going snowmobiling this afternoon (which he wanted to do with me over Thanksgiving but there wasn't enough snow). And then he's going out with some friends from high school tonight and he said he wished I was there too...

However, I am off to enjoy the time with my family since it is so short and I will have a whole semester (and probably a lifetime...) to be with Matt. *Did I just say that?*

Pork chop dinner here I come! :)

No comments: