Oh Christmas break... that glorious time in which I can read a book for the sheer joy of reading it rather than to glean ideas for a research paper or as required reading for a class. Dad gave me a book by S. Truett Cathy for Christmas. He came and spoke at Harding awhile back as part of the American Studies Distinguished Lecture Series and I found what he had to say very interesting. He was a witty old man; the type that made you feel comfortable and wish he was your grandpa. He was selling books after his speech but I didn't have any money with me so I asked for some of them for Christmas. "How Did You Do It, Truett?" (Copyright 2007) is the story of how he made Chick-fil-A into such a successful business. It's a short read - only 95 pages with pretty big font - but I found the following passages of interest:
"When we're fully committed to something, we're not likely to give up or be discouraged...When you're fully committed, you see strange and unusual things happen that otherwise wouldn't if you were not committed. That's been a key to my life, a key to success. When you're fully committed, you're not likely to fail."
-----------------
"Closing on Sunday turned out to be the best business decision I ever made. We generate more sales in our restaurants in six days than many other chains do in seven. So I tell our customers, 'You eat with us six days a week, and I'll give you permission to eat somewhere else on Sundays'."
-----------------
"We gradually become a part of those people we associate with, whether good or bad. If you want to be a great preacher, you associate with other great preachers, and something rubs off on you. If you want to be a great businessman, you associate with other great businessmen, and something rubs off on you. For instance my sons have been associated with me all of their lives, and look at them. Both of them are going bald."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment